Saturday, November 24, 2012

Smoky Bacon-Biscuit Dressing

I'd really like to say that I made these biscuits from scratch, after all, I do have the recipe.  But after looking at the number of hours of sleep I'd have to give up, on top of what I was already giving up, I opted for store bought rolls.  Still an absolutely wonderful dressing!

Ingredients:

12 4" cream biscuits, cut into 1 ½ inch cubes, toasted
1 lb sliced smokey bacon, cut into 1" pieces
2 yellow onions diced (this is where it gets . . . a little dicey (sorry, I couldn't resist), I bought a prepared stuffing vegetable mix from Trader Joe's that included the onions, celery, and carrots all chopped for me)
5 celery stalks diced
8 oz sliced button mushrooms
¼ cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
2 Tbs chopped fresh sage
2 Tbs chopped fresh thyme
Kosher Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
5 cups chicken stock

Preparation:

In deep saute pan over medium-high heat, cook the bacon until crisp, 7 to 9 minutes.  Transfer to paper towels and drain.

Pour off all but 3 Tbs of fat from pan.  Set pan over medium high heat and add onions.  Cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are soft and lightly browned, about 10 minutes.  Add celery, mushrooms, parsley, sage, and thyme.  Cook until celery is soft, about 5 minutes.  Transfer to large bowl.  Add bacon to bowl and season with salt and pepper.  And biscuits and stock and stir to combine.

Transfer dressing to baking dish and cover with aluminum foil.  Bake for 30 minutes, remove foil and bake until dressing is lightly browned, about 20 minutes more.

Serves 10



*Derived from Williams-Sonoma

No comments:

Post a Comment