Saturday, November 3, 2012

Buttermilk Fried Chicken

I'm a mom that works full time, while I appreciate using the freshest ingredients possible and understand the benefits to the taste, I will never tell you that you need to use "fresh" anything. We all use what we can, when we have it.

Ingredients:

1 (3 lb) fryer
2 cups butter milk
1 large onion sliced (I omitted)
1/4 cup chopped minced fresh herbs (such as parsley, tarragon, thyme) or 1 tsp each of the dried herbs (I opted for the dried herbs and used the Italian Seasoning)
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (I omitted b/c my children would not have liked it)

2 cups flour
1/2 tsp garlic salt
1/2 tsp onion salt
1 tsp cayenne pepper (again, omitted)
Salt & pepper to taste
2 cups canola oil, or other high smoke-point oil, such as peanut oil or gape seed oil

Preparation:

Soak chicken overnight (or at least 8 hours or up to 2 days) in buttermilk with onions (I did not include onions, I just didn't have time to slice them and still get the chicken soaking for 8 hours), herbs, paprika, and cayenne pepper.

Drain in colander, leaving some herbs on chicken.  In large Ziploc bag, mix flour, seasonings.  Heat 2 cups oils in a large, heavy-bottomed skillet (I used a huge pot, I've been told it helps minimize the splatter) on medium heat until a pinch of salt starts to sizzle when dropped in the hot oil.

Place chicken pieces in bag with flour and shake until thoroughly coated.  Add chicken to hot pan and fry on 1 side for 12-15 minutes, until golden brown, and then use tongs to turn the pieces over and fry for another 10-12 minutes until golden brown.

When chicken is golden brown, use tongs to remove chicken to a rack over a cookie sheet or broiler pan, for the excess oil to drain.  Add more salt and pepper to taste.

Serves 4

*Derived from Simply Recipes

No comments:

Post a Comment