Sunday, November 25, 2012

Parmesan Smashed Potatoes

A couple of weeks ago I made another version of this recipe.  Both are good.  They are slightly different in flavor, but both still very good.  Besides, is there a wrong way to cook with a potato??  I'm thinking No.

Ingredients:

3 lbs red potatoes, unpeeled
1 Tbs plus 2 tsp kosher salt
1½ cups half-and-half
¼ lb unsalted butter (Again, I use salted butter and cut out the adding salt step.  Yes, again, I know I would have more control over the amount of salt if I used unsalted butter, but in a busy schedule, this is what I do)
½ cup sour cream
½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
½ tsp freshly ground black pepper

Preparation:

Quarter potatoes and place in 4 quart saucepan and 1 Tbs of salt and cold water to cover.  Bring to boil, lower heat to and simmer, covered, for 25 - 35 minutes, until the potatoes are completely tender.  Drain.

Heat half-and-half and butter in saucepan.

Transfer potatoes to large bowl and mash with hand masher.  Slowly add hot cream and butter.  Continue to mash.  Fold in sour cream and Parmesan, and remaining salt and pepper.  Taste for seasoning and serve immediately.  Note: if potatoes are too thick, add more hot cream and butter.

Serves 6 to 8


*Derived from Food Network Magazine

No comments:

Post a Comment