Friday, November 9, 2012

Cheesy Bacon & Sausage Breakfast Quiche

It was time for our annual "5 Families" trip to Tahoe and I had signed us up for breakfast.  Great.  Except I was stumped.  This is 5 complete families in one large house for a ski trip.  And I needed a breakfast that would be filling, but give them the fuel they needed for skiing, and be quick.  So, really, I needed something I could make ahead and reheat there.  I really have no idea how or why, but quiche popped into my head (as well as the blueberry sour cream coffee cake).  This is one of the quiches I made ahead, froze, and reheated in Tahoe.  It worked great and I had many a happy skier!

Ingredients:

1/2 lb breakfast sausage (I used the Jimmy Dean turkey sausage crumbles, HUGE time saver!)
8 slices center cut bacon, chopped
1 small onion, minced
1 green bell pepper, minced (can be omitted for picky eaters)
1 frozen deep dish pie shell (another HUGE time saver)
1 1/4 cups milk
2 eggs
1 Tbs all-purpose flour
2 1/4 cups grated cheese

Preparation:

Preheat oven to 350
In large frying pan, cook sausage links 4-5 minutes, until cooked through (omit if using the sausage crumbles, instead, simply reheat them in the pan).  Add bacon to pan and cook until crispy; remove, leaving 1 Tbs grease.
Sauté onion and pepper in grease for 12 minutes, until softened.
In pie shell, layer cheese, bacon, onion, green pepper, and sausage.  In a bowl whisk together milk, eggs, and flour.  Pour over layered pie.  Bake 45-60 minutes until set, then cool for about 1/2 an hour.

Serves Plenty


*Derived from Food.com

No comments:

Post a Comment