Monday, January 28, 2013

Mexican Potato Soup

Dug up this recipe from a stash of papers in the garage while the plumber was replacing the broken water heater (dont' even get me started on THAT).  I was so excited to make it, but I'll be completely honest, this was only a hit with the Hubs and myself. Berto made a valiant effort, D (who is usually my Mikey) wouldn't even try it. My corn bread, though, was a success, as usual. This is, however, a wonderful, filling soup for a cold winter night!  Because the kids were (in theory) going to be eating this too, I omitted the spicy ingredients.

Ingredients:

1 large baking potato, peeled and cubed
2 cups half-and-half (for a lighter version, use fat free)
1 cup corn
1 small red bell pepper, finely chopped
2 tsps minced jalapeƱo, seeds and veins removed (optional)
1/2 cup water
1 1/2 tsps Mexican Blend spice
1/2 tsp chili powder (optional)
Salt and pepper to taste
Tabasco to taste (optional)
1 cup fresh cilantro, chopped (optional)

Preparation:

Combine all ingredients in a medium sauce pan, except cilantro. Simmer, covered, until potatoes are done, 15 to 20 minutes. Add cilantro and serve.

Serves 4


*Derived from USA Weekend


No comments:

Post a Comment