Monday, March 18, 2013

Coffee Cake

It was that time of year again, our annual 6 family trip to Tahoe. This year all of the families needed to provide their own breakfast. True to form, I spent the week prior cooking and baking. I've been playing around with the blueberry coffee cake, but wanted something more, hmm, I guess traditional. Ok, something buttery, cakey, and cinnamony. That's what I really wanted. Bonus? I had my heart shaped cake pan I hadn't used yet :-). Ask my 1st grade girlfriend Kokomi how amazing this was. I think she ate her weight! Super easy cake!

Ingredients:

Nonstick cooking spray
2 sticks of butter, at room temperature
2 1/4 cup of sugar, divided
2 eggs at room temperature
1 cup sour cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 Tbs baking powder
1/4 tsp salt (I use Kosher)
1 Tbs ground cinnamon
1 Tbs brown sugar
2 Tbs powdered sugar

Preparation:

Preheat oven to 350. Spray bunt pan with nonstick spray. Using an electric mixer, mix together butter and 2 cups of sugar in a small bowl. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, then add the sour cream and vanilla and mix until blended. In a separate bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, and salt. Add half of the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix until well blended, then the remaining dry ingredients until well combined. In a small bowl, combine remaining 1/4 cup sugar, cinnamon, brown sugar and mix until well combined. Pour half the batter into the cake or bunt pan (heart shaped in my case). Sprinkle the cinnamon sugar mixture over the batter, then pour the remaining batter over the sugar mixture. Bake until a toothpick inserted comes out clean, approximately 50 minutes to 1 hour. Let cool until slightly warm, remove from bundt pan and sprinkle with powdered sugar.

Serves Kokomi :-)

Derived from Food Network

No comments:

Post a Comment